# Positions Available 6
Min. Guaranteed hours32
Overtime offered No
Housing Employer provided
Job Start Date May
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the direct supervision of the Food Services Director, the kitchen staff member is responsible for implementing overall food service for children and staff. This responsibility includes food preparation, food inventory, meal service, and sanitation.
Discover Texas: culturally rich and diverse cities
Texas is so big and diverse that it’s practically its own country. It was, in fact, a nation of its own from 1836 to 1845. The Texas landscape ranges from desert badlands and swimmable coastlines to lush mountains and sprawling prairies. Its communities go from the heights of urban sophistication (and size!) on down to the tiniest, most charming out-of-the-way towns.
There is surely no shortage of Country culture here: rodeos, line-dancing and ample opportunities for an adventure by horse or mule. And then there’s the barbecue. It’s hard to find a better place on this planet for a plate of ribs or brisket (served with a heaping helping of Texas home-style side dishes). The legendary Franklin Barbecue in Austin can boast all-day waits – and it is worth it.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
1. Preparing meals for campers and guests in the cafeteria kitchen in compliance with all food-handling and safety procedures.
2. Responsible for assisting in preparing and serving all meals.
3. Maintain a safe and sanitary environment in all food service areas.
4. Assist in the set-up and breakdown of salad bar after every meal.
5. Assist in portion control measures to avoid food waste.
6. Operate a variety of kitchen equipment such as a grill, over, dishwasher, stove top.
7. Assists in unloading, receiving, and storing food and supplies.
8. Willingness to step into all roles within the kitchen including, but not limited to: dishwasher, cook, prep cook.
9. Thing ahead to future meals and prepare as needed.
10. Assist in organizing and maintaining inventory, supplies, and equipment.
11. Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Communication & Influence
• Engaging Community
1. Must be at least 18 years of age.
2. This position requires a High School Diploma or a GED.
3. General experience in nutrition is required.
4. Must complete and pass Serve Safe Food HandlerTM test.
5. CPR, First Aid, AED, O2 certifications, and Child Abuse prevention training are required upon hire.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
1. Work is performed in a highly active, outdoor, camp environment during high temperatures.
2. This position requires high levels of attention and alertness because of fire and cleaning chemicals.
3. Must have the ability to communicate both orally and written, with all levels of staff, children and parents.
4. Ability to stand and walk for long periods at a time is necessary, and must be able to be in a heated area for long periods at a time.
5. Repetitive stooping and bending with occasional lifting of 30 pounds is required.
- $185/ week
- Housing Provided