# Positions Available 2
Min. Guaranteed hours32
Overtime offered Yes
Housing Employer provided
Job Start Date ASAP
Winnetu is nestled into a quaint corner on the island of Martha’s Vineyard where farmland meets the dunes of South Beach. Miles of shoreline bordering Katama Bay and the Atlantic Ocean are just out our front door.
This old-school New England island has become the favourite retreat of US presidents, playwrights and pop stars alike, and it isn’t hard to see why. It’s a haven of peace and privacy, with white-sand beaches, pretty towns and great places to eat and drink, says Jay Parini
Martha’s Vineyard is about the changing relationship of sea and sky, and it’s a dynamic thing, always shifting. I think that’s what attracts so many. It’s why I live here,’ says Tony Balis, a writer and self-described ‘dreamer’ who heads the Humanity Initiative in Vineyard Haven. It has been his home year-round for 16 years, although he has been coming to the island in summer for half a century. ‘There is a deep sense of calm here,’ he adds. ‘I think that’s because of the six miles that separate us from the mainland. The journey, however brief, enforces a shift of consciousness. The pace of life alters when you step off the ferry.’
For whatever reason, I’ve always had a peculiar love of islands and have been especially drawn to those with rich histories and vivid settings. Martha’s Vineyard has everything I could wish for, and I’ve returned at intervals for four decades. For me, it’s an island that mixes memory and desire, as TS Eliot might have said.
Cook Level I is a Cook that demonstrates proficient culinary technical skills required in food preparation and use of kitchen equipment for a high end dining restaurant and providing the highest levels of service and professionalism. Performing all duties and adhering to the Food & Beverage Service Standards.
- Must be knowledgeable in all standard methods of food preparation, cooking times, and portioning to ensure food is prepared in the prescribed manner
- Sets up and breaks down work stations
- Cooks and prepares food according to Chef’s instruction, production guidelines and recipes
- Knowledge of cooking techniques such as braising, baking, roasting and high level skillet/saute work
- Ability to handle special dietary requests and to work with guests requiring special requests due to dietary concerns
- Prepares confits and compotes, seasonings, cures and rubs.
- Ensures food is stored at the appropriate temperatures for the appropriate length of time and follows all food safety standards
- Completes daily checklists for opening, closing, sanitation, and production
- Evaluates food quality and preparedness by tasting all dishes and preparations
- Cuts, trims, bones, and carves meat, poultry and fish to proper specification for service
- Responsible for ensuring correct portions when cutting, preparing and serving items to minimize waste and costs
- Continuously maintains a clean, sanitary and organized work area in compliance with all departmental and food safety standards
- Know and comply with all company policies and procedures regarding safety, security, emergencies, and guest interaction
- Report to work on time and in complete uniform
- Assists in other areas as needed
- Adheres to daily/ weekly / monthly cleaning schedules as determined by kitchen management
- Completion of any task requested by a supervisor or member of the management team
GENERAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Level I: 0-6 months experience as a cook at a restaurant, club, or hotel preferred
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills along with the ability to work in a diverse team environment
- Intermediate Wine knowledge
- A passion for preparing fine cuisine and the desire to share skills and techniques with coworkers
- Must be available to work a schedule which will include holidays, weekends, and varied shift times
- Must be able to perform repetitive tasks and stand for extended periods of time
- ServeSafe certification
- High School Education or equivalent
- More than three years’ experience in food service industry
- Ability to converse with guests and employees in English.
We offer subsidized housing for employees, opportunities for advancement, benefits and a hard-working, family-friendly environment.